Earlier this year Fashion lecturer Rebecca Russell-Turner launched the world’s first 225 degree immersive yoga activity, transforming exercise into a multi-sensory light and sound experience.

Yoga gurus and exercise amateurs participated in the sensory work-out sessions which formed part of a pop-up exhibition in Oxford Street’s Selfridges store. Here, our MA fashion graduates Tomoko Yano and Ching Chiu share their experiences of working alongside Rebecca at the exhibition and the valuable experiences they gained.

I worked as an assistant at the exhibition, helping to make goodie bags, preparing for classes, welcoming customer and selling tickets on reception. It was great experience to see how to run a business too, such as promoting an event, finding influencers, and having meetings with Selfridges. This is important to know as I plan to work on my own to create dance costumes in the near future.  I strongly believe that working on this exhibition at Selfridges was one of the most impactful and unforgettable experiences during my student life at Birmingham City University and it has helped to influence my business plan. Tomoko Yano

A short trip of sneaking into the British leading department store Selfridges brought out a substantial impact that will last for my entire life. Before participating, I could never have imagined getting the chance to peek into this massive industry. Within the three-week exhibition internship experience, I broadened my horizons with something that was completely new to my fashion knowledge and skills. Besides greeting people daily, dealing with calculating figures and operating the projecting machines, I also worked on creating images and providing advice on photography shoots. The internship was so meaningful to me and I gained practical experience in hosting an exhibition. Ching Chiu

More about studying Fashion Business and Promotion at Birmingham City University.