Made the choice to live at home for the first year of university, and wondering if that’s the right decision? Visual Communication student Eden Smith-Wint shares her experience of living at home and the university experience. Eden-Smith-Wint

I live pretty close to BCU so I felt that it would make more sense for me stay at home rather than move into student halls accommodation. But when I think back to my first year I have to admit that for the first few weeks leading up to commencing the course I was nervous that I may have made the wrong decision and could potentially miss out on the ‘University experience’. I also had anxiety that not moving into halls would make it harder for me to make friends and integrate as those living in halls had a head start and would bond easier.

These worries were totally unnecessary as I made a lot of new friends on my course from the first day.

Making friends is a lot easier than what you think. On your first day in lectures bring extra pens. I promise you that someone will be in need of a pen and offering one to somebody is a great ice breaker to start up a conversation.

Also make sure that you have signed up to all of the Facebook groups related to first year students on your chosen course. I promise you that it is an amazing way to meet other students both those who are living at home or students living in halls but have yet to meet students on their course.

BCU has such a wide range of societies that you can join so if you wanted to meet more people (not just those from your course) then joining a society would be great place to do so.

The best thing about living at home for me was that you

• You get the best of both worlds. You are able to go and socialise with friends whenever you want but when it comes to actually knuckling down and working you won’t have the distraction of loud housemates partying day and night. You won’t have loud students at all hours of the night outside of your window drunk.

• Living at home you get to save SO MUCH MONEY. You don’t have to worry about paying rent, or having to grocery shopping online or instore, utilities. All the extra money can then be spent on books (yeah I know boring but they are really expensive) or something more fun like clothes.

• Not restricted to the city centre. Since you are from the city you know how to get around and aren’t restricted to one area. For me this meant that I had better opportunities for finding a part time job than those in student halls.

Find out what societies, clubs and events are available in Welcome Week on our website, and use #BringOnBCU to make friends before you arrive!