If you’ve got to put a portfolio together for your uni application, you’re probably thinking, ‘Where on earth do I start?’ Or you might be completely panicking wondering if you’ve put the right stuff in, is it too long, too short…

One student who has been there, done it and come out the other side with a place on HND Jewellery and Silversmithing is Mahroz Mirzahekmati. She was born in Iran but lived in Canada for many years before moving to Birmingham to study at the School of Jewellery. Mahroz chose to study here as she wanted to learn how to design and make jewellery, and was impressed by the support and opportunities offered to students to help them find their way into the industry after graduation.

Here are Mahroz’s tips on how to get your portfolio ready before you start your Jewellery course.

I am an international student and I was required to provide a digital portfolio. I knew what the school expected, but I had no idea what a portfolio should look like so I did a little bit of research. First I wanted to know what the portfolio means, and I found that a portfolio is a collection of your work, which shows how your skills and ideas have developed over time. It also showcases your creativity, personality, abilities and passion.

I had a little bit of experience in jewellery making, but I have many skills, including painting and a degree in graphic design. I chose my best and strongest artwork, paintings and drawings to demonstrate my ability to work with different media and software. I also included pieces of jewellery I’ve made, showing the development from concept through to production – you can show this development in your drawings or any other artistic talent you have.

Being organised is important too. I was required to provide a digital portfolio, so I took high resolution photographs of my work, titled and numbered them all and sent it all over. Remember, if you are required to go to an interview, it’s important that your portfolio is well presented!

For those who don’t have any previous experience in jewellery, it doesn’t matter. What does matter is that you use your portfolio to show that you are serious and passionate about the course you have applied for.

Find out more about studying a jewellery degree at Birmingham City University.