Panic, stress, confusion, worry, helplessness, excitement and happiness – these are just some of the emotions you’ll go through on results day. It can be an emotional time, but whatever your emotions, you’re not alone.

Clearing, simply explained, is just another route into university! Whether that’s because you weren’t planning to go in the first place, have changed your mind on your current choices or just didn’t quite get the grades for your first choice.

It might sound scary or confusing but it really isn’t. Student Priyanka came to Birmingham City University through Clearing. In her blog she shares her story and how Clearing was the second chance she needed…

IMAGE_Priyanka_BlogI was with my mother when I received my A-Level results and I remember at the time it felt like a life or death situation. I felt as if my whole future depended on this moment in time. Everything I had ever worked for would come down to this moment.

When I didn’t get in to my chosen universities it was the worst feeling ever. I had never felt more of a failure in my whole life.

My mum’s best friend made me realise that this was not the end of the world. She was my voice of reason. There was still the option to go through Clearing. She has three kids who are older than me so had quite a bit of experience in this process.

She helped me to realise that Clearing wasn’t a way of saying, “You’ve failed, join the queue of the not so smart” (how I saw it). You’re actually just getting a second chance to prove yourself. Be positive. Everything happens for a reason. It’s really not the end of the world if you don’t achieve the best results.

Before I thought about Clearing, I was convinced on retaking my A-Levels but I’m glad I chose otherwise. I began to call lots of universities to see if they would offer me a place on my chosen area of studies. No one would let me do the course that I wanted to study apart from Birmingham City University. My sister had suggested the uni as she had gone there herself and told me that she had the best time there.

Good or bad, we’re here to help. Whatever your results, we’re here for you on Results Day. Our Clearing hotline (0121 331 6777)  will be open from 7am for you to get in touch or follow us on Facebook and Twitter using the hashtag #BCUclearing

They gave me the chance to study what I wanted to study. Even though I didn’t achieve the desired results, it felt like they believed in me.

Some students think they are painted red if they go to uni through Clearing. I too thought that everyone would know I went through Clearing and that I would be treated differently. I felt embarrassed. But at the end of the day it doesn’t matter how you got there, you’re there! It’s an amazing opportunity to get a second chance, that’s how you should look at it.

Before results day, there’s no harm in preparing yourself for the worst. It could happen to anyone, no matter what you were predicted. Make sure you have the Clearing app downloaded before you get your results. It’s always useful to be organised!

Good luck!

Preparing for results day? Our students have some great #BCUclearing advice. Check out some more top tips and advice to get through Clearing on our website.