After completing a BA (Hons) in Fine Art at the School of Art, Capsticks Fine Art Prize winner Jodie Wingham tells us what it’s like to take the leap to Masters level:

Why did you chose to study Fine Art?

jodie_winghamI chose to study Fine Art as I liked the openness of the course. You are in charge of your own projects and have the freedom to explore your own interests and work with them.

I have learned many transferable skills such as self-organisation and time management which will benefit me when I am working in the industry.

What opportunities have the courses given you?

I have been given a lot of opportunities to showcase my work both inside and outside of the university. At the end of my BA I was awarded the Capsticks Fine Art Prize.

Further examples include winning the Neo Print Prize in Bolton and showcasing my work at the Nottingham Castle Open. I’ve also had the chance to work with the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery, New Art West Midlands and have recently completed and internship at the Ikon Gallery in Birmingham.

Why did you chose to study an MA at the School of Art?

I decided to continue my studies as the MA in Fine Art allows me to make my own work and create my own briefs. The variety of modules have broadened my knowledge and you are challenged to really think about what your work represents.

Fine Art can take you down a lot of different pathways and I would like to work in the education side of art and become a tutor. I have thought about studying for a PhD in the future and the MA has given me the right foundation to start thinking about it.

Throughout the course you get to meet other professionals at the University who will engage with your work and give you advice on how to develop.

What advice would you give to those looking to study an MA in Fine Art?

The course has given me the confidence to get out there. There are always opportunities to take part in things so say yes to everything, develop a strong portfolio and enter competitions.

Jodie’s portfolio is available on her website.

Find out more about being a postgraduate student at our Postgraduate Open Day on Wednesday 25 November, 2-7pm.

For more information about undergraduate and postgraduate courses on the School of Art websitefollow this link. You can also stay up to date with what is happening at Margaret St on Facebook and Twitter.