We are currently loving J D’Cruz handmade leather handbags which are all carefully handmade selected, printed and created by the University’s very own alumni Jas Gilhooly.

Entrepreneur Jas graduated from Birmingham City University in 2012 with a First Class BA (Hons) in Textile Design.

Before studying for her degree, Jas completed a National Diploma in Printed Textiles gaining her enough UCAS points to get on to the course.

So Jas, tell us about the course you studied here at BCU?

“I studied Textile Design at Birmingham City University for three years which I thoroughly enjoyed from start to finish.

It’s great how broad my first year was because I got a taster of each specialism, by second/third year I knew what areas were my strongest and had the chance to carry on what I enjoy doing which has always been print for me!”

jdruz-clutchWhat have you been up to since you graduated?

“After graduating, I got to exhibit at New Designers which was an invaluable experience where I gained extensive industry knowledge and contacts.

I also gained a placement working at Jimmy Choo’s HQ down in London which was exciting! I still carried on making my handbags whilst on placement though.

I had people approach me asking for one of my handbags, they were very fond of my one-of-a kind printed bags.

I was also very lucky to have won a travel bursary from a competition I entered which allowed me to travel to the Indian International Leather Fair in New Delhi where here I purchased a few skins to make a batch of handbags to sell.

When I left Jimmy Choo, I moved back to Oxfordshire to concentrate on my own company and I now have a studio/showroom where I print and create my handbags.”

How did the course you studied help you gain your previous job role?

“I believe that the certain pressures that you are put under whilst studying towards a degree prepares you for when you get a job.

The fashion industry is so hectic and also I think you are ready to face criticism, in the real world no-one is going to tip toe around your feet as a designer. Your colleagues all have opinions and if a product isn’t selling – you need to accept it and adjust to current trends.

Also, if I didn’t have Jean Ensell as my tutor, I honestly don’t think I would be where I am today. She supported me all the way through my course and has to be top of the list for the most motivational woman that has impacted my life as a professional. She always gave me good advice and encouraged me to always do my best.”

You can view more of Jasmine’s designs by visiting her website at jdcruz.co.uk

She is also on social media:

Facebook: Facebook.com/jdcruzbags

Twitter: Twitter.com/jdcruzbags

Instagram: @jdcruzbags

Read more about the BA (Hons) Textile Design degree at Birmingham City University