“The road to life twists and turns and no two directions are ever the same. Yet our lessons come from the journey, not the destination.” [Don Williams]

Your journey in life will have more twists and turns than a Tarantino movie- and that is perfectly normal. In the words of Michael Jackson, “You are not alone.”

Postgraduate student Adam Bodin shares his not so simple journey as a BCU student…

Birmingham City University has been my academic home for nearly five years now and in this time I’ve had the opportunity to experience a lot of what university life has to offer.

My journey started in 2010, after I had taken a gap year due to obtaining my “dream” job at the time and deciding that university could wait a year. I moved into halls on the Coppice campus, where I learned a lot about living with other people; how privacy and property are to be respected and how not to deal with certain situations were two main revelations. After about a month on the course (English with Creative Writing) I realised it wasn’t for me. It had dawned on me that I should be studying Sociology (a passion flared up in college) and so got in touch with the relevant people to see what my options were. The staff were brilliant, I was informed I could suspend my studies and begin Sociology in the September of 2011 (as I was too far into the course to start straight away).

The first two years of my undergraduate BA Hons degree in Sociology passed by fairly smoothly (and very quickly!), it was my third and final year where I faced another challenge that I needed assistance with. My partner and I found out we were expecting a baby, due in the February of my final year, and throughout the pregnancy and post-birth there were many issues we faced. I now had to balance my family life with studying and with a demanding job as a Duty Manager, fortunately the support I received from my job relieved a lot of pressure and allowed me to focus on obtaining my degree at a high standard. I still needed help though as I could never seem to get the balance completely in my favour.

With my dissertation deadline looming (and it being nowhere near ready) I submitted for a deferral through the university channels, which was declined due to insufficient evidence. I then made an appointment to see a student union advisor, who was brilliant and told me everything I needed to gather in evidence for my appeal and what to do if the decision was not overturned. Thankfully, the decision was overturned and the extra time I received for my dissertation helped me to obtain a 2:1 degree in Sociology.

Throughout my final year I had been applying for places on the PGCE in Post-Compulsory Education and Training as I wanted to go on to teach Sociology in the further education sector. I have been able to continue my academic career with the university that has helped shape me, as BCU offer this course, and I am facing exciting new experiences through BCU!

I hope this account of my time at BCU has been helpful and I am more than happy to help where possible; adbodin@hotmail.com

Whether you are coming to the end of your undergraduate studies, or have been in your job for a while and want to progress in your career or change direction, a postgraduate qualification gives you the opportunity to stand out from the crowd in a competitive market. Want to know more? Come to our Postgraduate Open Day on Wednesday 25 November 2015. 2-7pm.