Naomi Crowe is a Business and Marketing student who has opted to take a placement year with the Faculty of Business, Law and Social Science’s Marketing team as Marketing and Communications Assistant.

1. Doctors

If you are moving away from home, I’d definitely recommend that you register with a local doctor’s surgery instead of going back home every time you feel ill; travelling for an extended period of time when you’re on the brink of vomiting, or worse, is the last thing you’re going to want to do.

If you choose not to register locally, it would be a good idea to find out about your closest walk in centre.

2. Insurance

If you are in halls, you should automatically have insurance for your room, meaning that anything that gets broken or stolen will be replaced by your insurance company. However, any thefts or damage outside of your room will not be covered so it’s worth considering whether you want to extend your insurance to cover you outside your room too for around £10 a month.

A recommended insurer would be Endsleigh, which specialises in insuring students, with packages designed around different accommodation types.

3. Council tax

The good news is that all full-time students are exempt from paying council tax as long as they only live with other students, but in order to qualify for the exemption you have to prove your student status. To do this you fill in a Status Letter Request form and hand it in to your undergraduate office to process.

Your accommodation provider/landlord should give you a deadline for when you need to evidence your student status by, however it does take a few days to process the form so it’s better done sooner rather than later or you could be charged by your accommodation provider/landlord.

4. TV licence

TV licences cost £145.50 a year and you will need to get one if you have moved away from home and are planning to watch any live television on any device including laptops, tablets, phones or of course a traditional television set.

You should get an individual letter through the post to check whether or not you need to pay for one; you must reply even if you don’t need one. If you state that you do not need a licence but watch live television at your new address then you can be fined £1,000 and get a criminal record, so it’s really not worth it.

All recorded video is fine to watch without a licence – this includes BBC iPlayer, YouTube, Netflix, DVDs, etc. Find out more at the TV Licensing website.

5. Term Passes

Many ‘term’ passes are valid between set dates rather than a particular number of days so it’s worth getting these as soon as they are available to make the most of your money, as getting them a few weeks after the start date does not necessarily mean that you will get the unused time added on at the end.

For example, National Express student travel passes for the first term of the year are valid between 22 August and 31 December 2014; even if you bought it in October you would have to pay the full price yet it would still run out on 31 December. Find out more at the National Express website.

The following two tabs change content below.
Our Students

Our Students

Posts added by Birmingham City University Students