Henna Sajid

Henna Sajid

Henna Sajid, Law student

Wow, what an experience! This time in 2012 it was me that was calling in enquiring about the Clearing courses available; stressed out whether or not I would make it to university. Now it was my turn to help out new applicants in the same position that I was in.

Many applicants were calling in and enquiring about what was in Clearing and whether they had the required points for that course. It was obvious that some students were disappointed that they hadn’t achieved the grades they expected – a situation I could empathise with.

However, there were some applicants calling in, who had actually exceeded their predicted requirements. Meaning they were able to secure a place on almost any course they were interested in.

Having gone through Clearing myself, I knew just how worrying and stressful it can become, which is why I tried to reassure students and help them out as much as I could. Some students were disheartened of the fact that they couldn’t secure a place on a course, due to them not meeting the required points.

Each and every call was different, so you can never really know what quite to expect! The majority of the calls I received were for health-related courses. However, not a lot of the health courses were available in Clearing, which meant many students had to think of an alternative if university was their first and only option. This is where I spoke to the applicants to gain more information on what else they were interested in and assisted them in seeing if another course might be suitable for them.

This was a great opportunity for me to help out students that were in the same position as me – I could really relate to what they were going through. I really wish the best of luck to each and every applicant applying to university. Oh and a piece of advice; don’t give up if you didn’t get the required grades for your preferred course!