Stacey Watkins

Stacey Watkins

Stacey Watkins, Information and Communications Technology student

Results Day is always an emotional time for students and discovering you need to go through the Clearing process can be even more emotionally draining and daunting. I spent ‘the big day’ on the other side; answering calls on the Clearing hotline where thousands of students hit the phone lines to make Clearing-based enquiries, in the attempt to ‘upgrade their future’.

It can feel like your world has been turned upside down when things don’t go to plan – I know the feeling too well myself, I never expected to be at university as I did not get any qualifications at school. But I’m sure many students you ask who have been through Clearing or any similar process will tell you that it all works out in the end, and usually it’s the best thing that could have happened!

Naturally, it was easier to empathise with students with the way they were feeling throughout Clearing which I think in my opinion makes it important to be a guide during the process and show them that Clearing really is the light at the end of the tunnel.

I dealt with many enquiries from many different students and it was important to me that I dissected every part of their unique ‘story’ to point them in the right direction to ensure they had a less stressful and less complicated route to get to where they desire to be. I was astounded how calm and prepared students were to talk to on my calls, which proved to be the advantageous approach at such an intense time as it made the overall process quicker.

I spoke to some wonderful students on my day on the hotline and want to thank them for their patience. It’s a brilliant experience to feel like you are helping people out, especially as in stressful situations its always welcoming to be offered a lending hand. It was a fantastic feeling to give something back as I’ve received great amounts of support from staff throughout my time at Birmingham City University which is something that can never be forgotten, I sincerely hope their Clearing experience was as pleasant as it was for me to provide the guidance.