Roberta Akemy Okamoto

Roberta Akemy Okamoto is a Brazilian national who recently completed the MSc Management and International Business course

I had the chance to take part in two very interesting leadership challenges through Birmingham City University. In the first one, I joined a team of students to develop a new marketing proposal for Aga Rangemaster, which was exhibited at the Birmingham Made Me Expo at Millennium Point in June 2013. In the second one, my team worked with Westfield Sports Car. We carried out marketing research and developed a new product design proposal for the ‘Next Generation Westfield’. This was presented to the company’s CEO in September 2013.

In both programmes, I had the chance to develop abilities and skills acquired throughout my course. I understood the necessities of the team in each stage of the project and I made use of the knowledge acquired in my course to develop strategies to determine the path that should be followed in order to achieve our goals and objectives.

Now that I am back in my home country, Brazil, I feel more prepared to face new challenges in my professional life. On top of that, I see these challenges as real professional experiences that can be exploited in the job interviews I am currently attending. Besides, I believe that they added much more value to my CV. It is what makes it stand out from other candidates.

Hence, taking part in leadership challenges will always be worth it not only for your academic development, but to help you acquire new professional experiences as well.