Shona McQuillan

Shona McQuillan

Shona McQuillan is a senior adviser and manager of the Course Enquiries Team at Birmingham City University. Shona has experience of over 15 years in Higher Education and has advised thousands of prospective students about course options and applying to university.

What if I am interested in full-time undergraduate courses?

Applications for full-time undergraduate courses are made through UCAS. Applications should be made between mid-September and 15 January in the year before the course you wish to start if you want to ensure that your application will be guaranteed to be considered by the universities you apply to. So, for example, if you wish to apply for a course commencing in September 2015, you would make your application through UCAS between mid-September 2014 and 15 January 2015. Applications received after the 15 January deadline can still be submitted if courses are still open but they are classed as late applications and may only be considered by the universities you have applied to if they have places left on the course once all of the applications submitted by the January deadline have been considered. It is worth checking with universities about vacancies on courses if you are looking to apply as a late applicant.

Applications are made online through the UCAS website. You will need to register with UCAS to receive a username and password. Once you have received these, you can log into your account and fill out the application form on the UCAS website. You can apply for up to 5 courses on the one application form. Once the form has been fully completed, you can submit it (along with payment) to UCAS who will then distribute the form to the universities you have applied to.

What about part-time undergraduate and postgraduate courses?

Applications for many part-time and postgraduate courses are normally made directly to the individual university offering the course. Our University application form is used to apply for these courses and you can download the form from our website.

What should I do if I am considering PGCE teacher training courses?

Applications are made through the UCAS Teacher Training application scheme, which is a single admissions system for all the main postgraduate routes into teaching accommodating School Direct in England as well as established courses run by Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) and School-Centred Initial Teacher Training (SCITT).

Applications can be made from late autumn (normally October/ November) onwards. Universities have 40 working days from receiving your application form to make a decision so it is advisable to apply early on in the application cycle if possible as places are being allocated to applicants on a rolling basis.

How do I apply for the Graduate Diploma in Law and Legal Practice Course (LPC) courses?

Applications for the full-time courses are made through the Central Applications Board. Applications for the part-time courses are made directly to the University and you can download an application form from our website.

I’m interested in you research degrees. What should I do?

In the first instance, contact our Research Office to discuss your research proposal. As some research proposals can involve working with more than one school or faculty, they will be able to co-ordinate this for you if required or put you in contact with the most appropriate person who can consider your research proposal further. Please contact the Research Office as follows:

Tel: +44 (0)121 331 6858
Twitter: @myBCUResearch

The following two tabs change content below.

Shona McQuillan

Senior adviser and manager of the Course Enquiries Team at Birmingham City University.

Latest posts by Shona McQuillan (see all)