By Molly Davis – First year midwifery student at Birmingham City University

Molly Davis

Molly Davis

This time last year I was watching the first series of ‘The Midwives’ and beginning my course at Birmingham City University. I never dreamed I would end up on the show myself. Being a first year student; juggling the demands of the course, independent living and social integration, filming was definitely an added pressure. However, the crew I worked with were comforting and friendly and my mentor Kathy guided me through the placement, so I found it really enjoyable and insightful.

The placement we filmed was my first time being on a delivery ward, everything was new to me and it was my first time putting learnt theory into practice. I am sure my nerves probably show through even though I tried to maintain a brave face for the women and the cameras. Reassurance was available if I had wanted it. The hospital, my university lecturers and the university’s Press Team were behind us for the filming. BCU offers great support for students struggling with placements or the academic and emotional sides of the course.

I am really looking forward to seeing how I come across on screen in relation to how I remember feeling at the time. I am now starting my second year at university and I’m looking forward to seeing how my practice, knowledge and confidence has progressed. At BCU we continuously evaluate ourselves as student midwives, so that we gain the most out of our training. Watching the show will help me identify which aspects of my attitude and practice still need some work.

It will also be nice to see how my reaction to clinical situations differ from the other student midwives, Rebecca and Melissa, and will enable me to see the difference in the role of a first year and a third year student on the midwifery ward. Overall this has been a really enjoyable, positive experience and I hope that shows through in the episode. Filming with the BBC seemed such a long process I can hardly believe the episode is about to air.

BBC Two’s ‘The Midwives’ episode which features students from Birmingham City University will air on Monday 23 September, 9pm, on BBC2.