Melissa Staunton

Melissa Staunton

By Melissa Staunton – Final Year Midwifery Student at Birmingham City University

So, if you told me that at the time of applying for midwifery at BCU I was going to be filmed for a documentary for the BBC I would have laughed and not believed you! I might not even have applied knowing that I could possibly make an embarrassment of myself on national television in front of millions of viewers.  Despite enjoying drama at school and being able to live up to the name of a “drama-queen”, I really didn’t expect to be participating in a programme showing my role as a student midwife and what it entails.

For me being filmed wasn’t about the fact that I was going to be on TV but an education for the public, to give them a day in the life of my life, a student midwife and not your average university student. I am passionate about midwifery and wanted to show the public what it really entails. For me, the training was more than what I ever expected it to be, and ‘The Midwives’ shows a true representation of this, showing others the dedication you need to have to be on such a course.

Being filmed was an amazing experience and part of my journey of training that I certainly won’t ever forget. It certainly had its ups and downs, having to juggle filming time with placement hours, university hours and my social life was stressful at times but this is something now that I will always be able to look back on as one of many memories of my training in Birmingham.