Sanika Karnik

Sanika Karnik

Sanika Karnik, Media and Communication student starting in September 2013

My journey to university started over a year back now, when I applied to several colleges in the UK and US, getting positive replies from the majority of them. However due to circumstances I decided to take a gap year, during which I reapplied to colleges in the UK. After receiving an unconditional offer from Birmingham City University, I decided that this would be the best fit for me.

This month I will be joining Birmingham City University to start the BA Media and Communication course, and I couldn’t be happier with my decision. There were several factors which led me to this decision, all of which have to do with my opinion that BCU is the perfect setting to start a career in media.

To start with, Birmingham is the second largest city in the UK. This was a huge plus point for me because I knew that being in an environment like that would ensure that I had plenty of exposure to the world of media. Secondly, the course itself was something I found to be very relevant and had the kind off hands on approach that I was looking for. You get to take a variety of theoretical and practical classes, as well as mandatory work placements every year. This means that I will be leaving university with the kind of work experience that will help me pursue the career I want.

And lastly, when I read up on the new buildings that Birmingham City University are adding to their campus, I was sure that I would get all the training I needed right there. The Parkside Building is the biggest media facility in the whole of the UK’s education sector, and it will now be my classroom. What more could an aspiring journalist ask for?

I am now just a week away from starting my induction week at BCU and have been talking a lot to fellow Media and Communication students, and as expected we are all counting down the days before we enter this new chapter of our lives at Birmingham City University.