Laura Mackie

Laura Mackie

Laura Mackie studied Music Technology at our Faculty of Technology, Engineering and the Environment

It’s strange to think that little under four years ago I was almost ready to start my journey at Birmingham City University, and here I am now writing a graduate blog to give some insight into what the uni gave to me. In the few short years that I spent in those hallowed walls, everything changed. My personal life, my social life, my working life – everything!

I chose BCU purely on a gut reaction, and frankly I never regretted it. Sure, I went to plenty of open days at other institutions, I heard some convincing speeches and I met some wonderful people, but there was something different about Birmingham City, something professional. From the first moment I walked into Millennium Point, I knew that there was something different about the place. Not only was there a massive Imax screen (now the Giant Screen) and a Lego lab, but there was an entire faculty dedicated to technology. I was in heaven. The facilities were new, the building was clean without being sterile, the staff knowledgable and entirely friendly – my course director Roy Priest spent a lot of the personal interview laughing and smiling, an image that I still remember and smile myself at – so it was really a no brainer for me! I joined up that year for the Music Technology BSc (Hons) degree and never looked back. Always trust your instincts!

As soon as I started the course I knew I’d made the right decision. The content was diverse, the teaching styles interesting and engaging and the other students on the course were all friendly and fun, and more than up for a night out on the town – of which there are many places near to the halls of residences to pick from. Over the coming years my knowledge grew exponentially, and I found my own specialist areas that I could develop further in my final years. Working on sound for film was a fantastic module, and learning about the niche area of interactive music systems was incredible – I never would have even thought about it before! Certainly one of the best aspects of the course was its huge range of subjects covered, every year there’s something new and interesting to explore, it’s not for the faint hearted but definitely for the explorers. And as always mentioned about Music Technology BSc (Hons) in particular, the most useful resource we have is by far the Conservatoire. Having access to such a huge range of musicians is fantastic, and you won’t find it anywhere else in the country.

Now it is true, I’m no longer a student amongst the Tigers. Having finished my studies only this year in May, I secured a job working for Deluxe Digital Cinema as a ‘Digital Cinema Technical Operator’ in central London that started as soon as I left the Midlands. It’s not an incredibly well known position, but my job is to master films ready for international cinematic release. This involves working on the audio, visual and auxiliary data and combining it to create the final digital files that you see in the cinema. Some of the titles I’ve been lucky enough to work on already include Star Trek: Into Darkness, The Wolverine, World War Z, This Is The End, The Lone Ranger and many more! There’s always a new challenge and a tight deadline to work to, but my life at BCU certainly prepared me for that. I truly believe that my degree hugely helped my employability (it’s a requirement to have one to work in our department), but the biggest help was the industry placement year. BCU are champions for encouraging it, and I will always promote it wherever I can. Without my previous experience I would never have been considered, and so it’s all thanks to Birmingham City University and the fantastically experienced lecturers for convincing me to go out and do it!

BCU helped me to live my dream of getting into the motion picture industry in London, and I can only go onwards and upwards to conquer it now. So in my final words, go forth new recruits, and take everything you can from Birmingham City University – give your best efforts and reap your rewards, I’ll see you all in the city!