Stacey Watkins

Stacey Watkins

Stacey Watkins – BSc (Hons) Information and Communications Technology

I left secondary school without the qualifications I hoped for and I didn’t think I’d be good enough to go to university. I was the first person in my family to attend university and was a bit unsure what I needed to do and how the application process worked.

I had problems accessing the UCAS website on results day so called Birmingham City University on the phone and confirmed my place with them after they answered the call straight away. I was so happy I was crying down the phone!

There were a few courses at Birmingham City University that I liked the sound of. Asking the Course Directors for their advice on what was the right course for me was really helpful.

I’ve had so many opportunities with jobs and volunteer work since attending the University. I love my course and I’ve met so many amazing people, it’s hard to believe I ever thought that I couldn’t make it to university.

If you’re a student who thinks you might not have the right qualifications to go to university, first of all I’d tell you not to panic if things don’t go as well as you had originally hoped or planned. There is so much help available and there are always additional routes to take to get to where you want to be.

Do as much research as possible. The internet is one of the best tools for this. Use the services that are on offer wisely and contact members of staff who can help you and give you the correct advice and guidance.

I’m currently looking at continuing my studies at Birmingham City University with an MSc when I’ve completed my final year of Undergraduate study. I feel like the sky is the limit for me!