Francesca: Sat 27 Feb

It was both fascinating and thrilling to rehearse with the orchestra today. Obviously having no previous recordings to refer to, it was totally new to us all – and for me it suddenly brought the whole piece to life. Some bits were particularly affecting, for example David Blake’s breathtaking orchestration for ‘The Hostage’. The girls in it were fantastic too of course – as was everyone else. It’s great to be part of such a fantastic cast.

I wasn’t sure whether I would be doing my number today as it just uses the piano but Lionel must have thought it useful for the orchestra to hear it so they would know where it comes in the opera. To be honest, I think most of the rehearsal slightly baffled them, but it’s quite difficult to make sense of it all without being able to associate it with the action taking place in the scenes – I remember from our chorus rehearsals at the beginning!

Apparently I need to make my whipping technique more tantalizing (Mr Warner’s instructions!) so I had better have a practice before Sunday….the best thing I can find is a wooden spoon so that’ll have to do!! Right ok……

Francesca Saracino