David Blake: Tues 16 Feb

I’m back in my rural retreat, surrounded by freshly dunged meadows. I’ve just fed the chickens. My thoughts are with everyone rehearsing in Birmingham and looking forward to being there again. Those three days last week were wonderful for me. I was very moved to see such a talented group of artistes working so hard and so willingly– and enjoying themselves. Lots of you have been very generous about the piece, both the music and the words. It’s great for me to have such total confidence in those ‘in charge’. Keith and Lionel are long-standing colleagues, but to have got to know Michael and Ben, two more geniuses, is a great pleasure.

It’s a bit tricky to admit to being moved by your own music… ┬ábut so often the performances are touching a nerve with me- too many to mention. It’s easier to let go and laugh at Keith’s text and the antics on stage. One thing I will mention – the choral sound is terrific. So often a collection of good voices doesn’t blend into a good choir. Thank you Lionel.

So, early congratulations and thanks to you all. I’m with you again on the 25th. Hearing you with the orchestra will be very exciting. Love to everyone. David.

P.S. This is my first ever blog.