New Mental Health Nursing Textbook published!

Just a quick post to remind everyone to have a look at  ‘Fundamentals of Mental Health Nursing’ which was published this month.

Fundamentals of Mental Health Nursing
Fundamentals of Mental Health Nursing

The book is intended to cover the pre registration mental health nursing course and was written by a team of Mental Health Nurses – many (but not all) from Birmingham City University or the local trust. The book also benefits greatly from contributions by service users and student nurses.

The book is a little different in that it is partly an on-line resource, if you go to the publishers website you can access a lot of the supporting material from the book such as videos, quizzes and additional chapter material.

The book is intended as an intoduction for people who have had no previous experience of mental health nursing. We have also tried to write it in plain English – I believe that Mental Health Nursing isn’t rocket science! (although perhaps we sometimes make out that it is?)    Anyway – for obvious reasons we are a bit biased about this so, take a look and see what you think about it , all comments welcome!

Andy

9 thoughts on “New Mental Health Nursing Textbook published!

1. Oops, unfortunate pingback there from CBTish.

I would actually suggest reshooting that particular video with “Anthony” as there’s quite a few elementary communication skills errors there. The nurse is showing through his body language that he isn’t really listening, and he’s not properly paying attention to what’s being said.

I found myself thinking back to my uni communication skills seminars and wincing somewhat. I’ve just got visions of my former lecturers shouting, “SOLER position!” at the nurse in the video.

That said, I thought the communication skills displayed by Pam Virdi in the video where she’s talking to a girl with eating disorders were excellent. Good use of body language and non-verbal communication, working hard to put the girl at ease. That one was much better.

2. Hi Zarathustra (apologies for a long reply)

Many thanks for your comment & for your interest in this.

You are commenting on a video without seeing the context in the book or how these films are used in teaching.

Most of those videos are not meant to show ideal practice – from a teaching pov we often find it most useful to make things that show less than ideal practice. These are usually better at provoking a response from groups of students & to be honest they are a little easier to make.

Anyone who is a competent mental health nurse should wince at some of these films & we would hope that by the end of their training that will be the reponse of the students too.
    (some are meant to show good practice – as you have correctly identified)

Yours is an “educated wince” – & we want our student nurses to be able to say exactly why they are wincing & what should be done instead.

I suspect however that you wouldn’t try to say that students won’t occasionally see this sort of thing in actual practice from qualified staff. I think we both know that our filmed examples are if anything a little mild! Again, we would use these sort of resources to help people consider how best to challenge this sort of thing in themselves & others.

I know that this doesn’t perhaps show us mental health nurses in a good light & perhaps some people won’t like that – but, there you go – we think it needs doing.

Once again though – many thanks for your interest & your comments. look forward to hearing from you again

Andy

3. Hi

I call it the Dad’s Army/Captain Mainwairing approach i.e. “I wondered how many of you would spot that deliberate mistake”

Seriously though, that video you mentioned is a long way from being the worst example of practice that we show. I am sure that the mental health nurses we included will be grateful for my pointing out that they don’t usually behave like this!

Many thanks for the comment anyway

Best wishes

Andy

4. I feel that people should read the book and the introduction not just a snippet from an online chapter before critiquing it in such a negative, and patroninsing manner. I would also like to point out that this book HAS infact been ‘edited’ by two very experienced and excellent mental health professionals.

The title speaks volumes…THE FUNDEMENTALS of MENTAL HEALTH NURSING and is not a book on how to carry out a private psychotherapy session. The interviews portray a glimpse of a typical (and I am not refering to antipsychotic medication, or should I say, neuroleptic medication when i say ‘typical’..just to avoid confusion) initial assessments where the nurse needs to collate as much information as possible in a short space of time to establish, initially, risk followed by a plan of action/care which may include a referal to a therapist?.

I myself would be interested in seeing an example of a psychotherapy session on line which incorporates cognitive behavioural therapy.

As far as akathesia goes,it varies in severity and further assessment would be carried out using a rating scale tool such as Barnes Akathisia Scale to measure the severity.

Well done to all who contributed to this very informative and useful book…I will contine with my post later, we do not all have the time to write a nit picking and long winded essay on it.

5. I started reading this book but to be honest I didn’t get very far. I found it upsetting to read because my experience does not match what the book was teaching. That’s obviously not the fault of the authors or editors, but those who worked at the hospital when Mr Man was an inpatient (particularly his first admission). That was nearly 7 years ago now and I’m still struggling to come to terms with the injustice of it all. I hope students take to heart what they learn from this book and are not corrupted by the “experienced” nurses around them.

6. I have only read a snippet of the book, but I would (will) buy it as I feel this book is up to date and I can understand it. It underpinns my learning and knowledge base and helps reflect on my training at BCU. I feel it is a positive and informative book that will definately help us (3rd yrs) and following students.

With reference to Mr Mans wife comment, It is unfortunate that the book upset her. Obviously we should value the experiences of service-users and their family as they are the ones on the receiving end. It is ok for us as students, nurses and lecturers to advise as to what treatment or therapy we think is best, but it is Mr man and his family who have to experience it. As we know things sound good in principle but not as good when trying to put into practice. Hopefully we as nearly qualified nurses, will take onboard the positive aspects of this book, our training and experiences and will not allow ourselves to be moulded. We should aim to provide holistic, person centerd care and empower individuals to make their own choices.