This Saturday (4th), as well as the 25th November, Birmingham City University will be holding an undergraduate open days – and it certainly isn’t to be missed. These are a great opportunity for you to experience a little bit of life as a BCU student and this coming Saturday will also see prospective postgraduate students come onto campus to find out more about what we have to offer.
Birmingham School of Media may offer a great deal of information on our website and our social feeds, but there is nothing like an open day to show you how great your uni experience could be – and just how we #DoMediaDifferently so that our students are #IndustryReady when they leave us.
Don’t believe us? Here’s 5 reasons why you shouldn’t miss our next open day:
- See the campus: Take a tour of our state-of-the-art facilities and city centre campus and you’ll get to see where we learn and study, our industry standard media studios and equipment, places to eat and chill, but most of all to walk around and get a feel of the place that could be your home for three years.
- Meet current students, past students and lecturers: Find out about our expertise and range of course options from the people who know them the best! You’ll get unfiltered information and advice from students who can tell you what to do in order to succeed (and what not to do) as well as what they’ve learned. There will also be tutors on hand throughout the day to advise you on your first steps into a media career, and how we support you and give you the skills so you are #IndustryReady. You can also pick up some tips on personal statement writing and find out first-hand how to get your foot in the door of BCU tutors’ industries of expertise.
- Meet new people: Everyone walking around on open days is in the same position as you… so get chatting! Discuss your thoughts and opinions about the uni, and you never know, they might be your coursemates in a year. And don’t be a stranger – start engaging with the Birmingham School of Media by following us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and see what we (our students and staff) have been up to recently. Don’t forget, there’s #BCUjournos and #BCUWeArePR too to follow, so plenty of ways to join our community long before you actually start your first year.
- Have a go at something new: Our students really get stuck into their areas of interest – be is events, music industries, journalism, radio, TV, PR or new media – and you can too when you come to see us. Take part in one of our taster workshops and you could be shaping or even making the news, running a radio programme, presenting a TV programme or coming up with a clever media campaign.
- Explore the campus – and the city! Join the walking tours of our campus accommodation buildings and where you’ll be staying throughout the year (this is also a chance to show your parents where you’ll be living independently as a ‘responsible’ adult). Don’t just stop at our uni, make the most of the day and wander through the streets of one of the biggest cities in the UK. Experience the buzz of the Bullring and Grand Central, the culture of the art museums, the architecture of the Birmingham library, or even make it an outing and visit Cadbury World!
You can never leave a uni open day with less information that you started with and there’s no doubt you’ll be brimming with ideas and inspiration, so why not sign up now? See you there…
Post written by Julia Duke-Vinton, second year PR student at Birmingham School of Media