An Architect’s Dream

katherineMicrosoft Word - During%20the%20second%20term.docx
During the second term as part of my MA IN Innovation and Leadership in Museum Practice I will be working on a live project for twelve weeks in one of the nine museums sites that exist across Birmingham. I am working with the conservation team on the fine art collection at Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery.

So far, working on the project I have found to be challenging but enjoyable. I have been looking at the fine art collection of Birmingham Museums Trust, as well meeting staff at Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery. One of the project’s challenges is to match the description in the database to the object in the store, as well remembering the basic maths of the measuring units.

Part of the project involves learning about the technologies that Birmingham Museums Trust uses to monitor the environment and the measurements of lux (light). We will also be updating the information on the collection by measuring the frames. My activities also involve making a note of any damaged frames, measuring objects and adding labels next to objects. At end of this process we will be working out the percentage of how much space that the collection is currently occupying. I will produce an evaluation report which includes proposals to improve long-term storage facilities for the collection Working on the live projects gives us the opportunity to work alongside the staff at the museums whist developing new skills for our future careers.