Self-coached Nutrition Science alumni champions BodyPower 2018

Jezz 2

BCU Health and Wellbeing (Nutrition Science) graduate and Student Success Adviser, Jezz Freeth, recently placed third in the Junior Men’s Physique category at the BodyPower Exhibition. Check out Jezz’s blog about how his degree helped him to achieve this success.

Can you tell us a bit about the competition?

Earlier this month I competed for the first time at BodyPower, one of the world’s largest annual fitness conventions held at the NEC in Birmingham. I came third place in a highly competitive Junior Men’s Physique category out of 22 competitors which means I have now qualified for the British finals in October.

For many fitness enthusiasts in the UK, BodyPower is arguably the most exciting weekend of the year as the best high level athletes and fitness personalities/brands from around the world all come together under one roof. It is especially exciting for me as it all takes place in my home city.

I initially decided to sign up to the competition purely for the experience and to set myself a new challenge. However as the weeks went on and more and more hard work went into the process, I became more motivated to place in the top 3.

Jezz 3

How did studying for a degree in BSc (Hons) Health and Wellbeing (Nutrition Science) help you to achieve this success?

As I was self-coached during the process, the scientific understanding of nutrition and human physiology gained on my course allowed me to understand the dietary component of preparing for a competition better.

For example, it allowed me to make more sense of certain dietary protocol ‘myths’ such as dehydration and depletion of certain nutrients which can often confuse competitors and hold them back from achieving their best look on stage.

I practised what I understood about nutrition and human physiology to ensure everything I did over the 12 weeks of preparation would result in achieving my best possible condition on stage.

Jezz 1

Where does your interest in this area stem from?

My interest in the field of nutrition stems from my interest in sport, fitness and health. You could say that this all began when I was younger and watched action movies and wrestling on the TV. Seeing guys like Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sylvester Stallone, The Rock and numerous others from a young age made me aspire to one day achieve an athletic, muscular physique and I learned along the way that without a solid nutritional foundation, this is not possible. So I made an effort to learn how nutrition can allow us to get the most from our lives and help us to achieve our goals.

jezz 5

Why did you choose to study at Birmingham City University?

I chose to study at BCU because I am passionate about nutrition and the impact it has on our health, wellbeing and human performance. I felt that studying here would allow me to develop my knowledge and expertise in the subject to a higher standard. I also felt it was important to gain a qualification in the field to demonstrate credibility.

jezz 6

What are your plans for the future?

I have received an invitation to the British Finals in October where the top three from each show compete against each other to be the overall champion. I am already training for this show as the plan is to come back bigger and better.

As the nutrition, fitness and health industries have grown rapidly and continue to grow, I believe holding a degree within the field is a great foundation to take forward. I am excited by the idea of one day possibly running my own business and having my own brand.

I feel that being given a graduate opportunity to work at BCU has allowed me to build on the skills that are crucial in the workplace and has helped me to develop further as an individual.

jezz 4

If you are interested in studying BSc (Hons) Sport and Exercise Nutrition, BSc (Hons) Sport and Exercise Nutrition with Foundation Year or BSc (Hons) Food and Nutrition at Birmingham City University visit the BCU School of Health Sciences course page.

To keep up with Jezz’s progression you can visit his Instagram account: @jezzcharlie