Education Students are going to Peru!

Amy and Jessica Peru

Education Studies students, Amy and Jessica have been selected for a mini-internship at MEDLIFE, an international non-profit organisation based in Peru.

Two first year Education Studies students, Amy and Jessica have been selected from around 300 applicants to take part in a funded internship to Peru with MEDLIFE; an international non-profit organisation based in Peru’s capital Lima that partners with communities in developing nations to improve their access to MEDs: Medicine, Education and Development.

machu-picchu-1569324_1280

Jessica and Amy tells us how they found out about the internship, how they applied and what they are most looking forward to from this wonderful opportunity…

How did you hear about the MEDLIFE internship? 

Jessica: The opportunity came about when Sylwia Grzegorek, from the HELS international travel scholarships team attended one of our lectures and introduced some of the opportunities to work abroad and some of the parrnerships which BCU has with charities and universities around the world. She mentioned the MEDLIFE programme, which is a two week long internship to Peru, where we will be working on projects with other MEDLIFE students and working in a variety of resource-poor settings, such as schools. This sounded really interesting, as I had experience working in early years settings in the UK and I was eager to see how learning provision differed in different countries.

How did you apply for this internship?

Jessica: The application process was really straightforward. Firstly, we had to fill in an online application form. This took about 10 minutes to fill in, it consisted of questions, such as why we are interested in working in resource-poor settings, how the degree programme we are doing (Education Studies) relates to the internship, and why we were interested in completing an internship with MEDLIFE.

The next part of the application was a Skype interview with one of the managers of MEDLIFE – she was actually in Peru and that was an experience in itself, as I hadn’t done anything like that before. She explained a little about what the internship will entail and asked a few more questions about my degree course, what I see myself doing in the future, what I can bring to MEDLIFE and my experience in the childcare and health sector.

About a week later, I received an email inviting me to be a part of the MEDLIFE internship and I am really looking forward to it!

Amy:

I feel very fortunate to have been selected from 300 applicants for the opportunity to go on a once in a lifetime trip to Peru.

When I first heard about this trip I knew I had to apply. I completed an application form stating why I wanted to take part. This lead to me being selected for a Skype interview.

mountain-3200466_1920

During the interview I was asked many questions about skills that I have that would benefit this cause, what I could bring to MEDLIFE, any similar experiences I’d had in volunteering or charity work, how it relates to my degree and why I was interested in this opportunity. I answered the questions to the best of my ability and was lucky enough to have been awarded a place.

What are you most looking forward to on the internship? 

Jessica: The thing I am most looking forward to is experiencing employment in a different country. It is an amazing opportunity to have a role in the learning and development of these inspiring people in Peru.

I personally believe that this would be a great opportunity for me to expand on my knowledge and understanding of different countries and develop my confidence, as well as develop as a person.

Over 300 applicants from universities around the UK applied for the internship and it is truly an honour to be selected to represent BCU!

I have also never been abroad without my parents before, so I am really looking forward to the experience of being independent. The independence and maturity of the trip, I hope, will help me to prepare myself for going into full-time employment upon completion of my degree.

Amy: I am most looking forward to meeting new people and working alongside them to help create a better life for those in need. I have been involved in many volunteer projects before and felt a huge sense of achievement and also gratitude when making a difference to people’s lives.

What do you hope to do after your internship? 

Amy: I hope I leave Peru with memories that will last a lifetime, not only because of the people I’ve met, but because of the work we carried out to improve the health and standard of education of those less fortunate. This will fill me with great pride and satisfaction. On my return to  BCU, myself and Jess will set up a society with the intention of promoting the amazing work of MEDLIFE and encouraging other students to undertake opportunities with them. I am really excited for this trip and feel so blessed to have been offered this place.

International travel scholarships are available to all Health, Education and Life Sciences students to apply for during their time studying with us. Find out more about our Education Studies degree.