Students love S.P.A.C.E

Untitled design (1)

SPACE (Skills Practice And Care Enhancement) is a unique practice area health care students can access outside of lectures to use equipment and resources to practise a wide range of skills in a safe, supportive, creative environment.

Why practise in SPACE

• There are over 100 skills procedures students can access and use to practise their skills
  • Students can practise in their own time and at their own pace in preparation for placement and OSCE assessments
  • Enables students to improve their confidence in clinical skills and learn from mistakes without impacting on patient care

BCU South Campus

The SPACE Experience

• Ward area with a variety of manikins including state of the art advanced patient simulators Sim Man & Paediatric Hal
  • Articulated skeleton, anatomical models and posters
  • Dementia friendly bed space and resource area
  • Practical table work stations and a sofa area
  • Information point and much more

Come and say hi to Audrey in the Dementia friendly bed space…

MJWPILwZ

And access anatomical models and posters to help with anatomy and physiology study…

BCU South Campus

First year Adult Nursing students, Ben and Debbie share their experience of S.P.A.C.E and what is has meant for their time at BCU so far.

SPACE

Ben: First year at university is always going to be a daunting experience; in fact, going into the adult nursing course felt like I was going out of my comfort zone. However, I have always firmly believed in helping others which made me make the decision that nursing was the career for me…

S.P.A.C.E has helped me tremendously in developing the skills towards being a fully qualified nurse; without S.P.A.C.E, I wouldn’t have had the confidence to practice and develop the practical skills necessary for placement. It has given me more confidence in refining the skills I have learnt from lectures and putting them into practice.

The support is fantastic, the technicians do everything to provide support for us, giving us the equipment to practice the skills we have learnt, whether it may be for placement and examinations. Without S.P.A.C.E., I probably wouldn’t be where I am today, nearing the end of first year.

Untitled design

Debbie: S.P.A.C.E was one of the main things that brought me to BCU.

I love that there is a dedicated place to practice and refine my clinical skills. What I love most is that it is done in a relaxed environment, free of the stress of the classroom and that makes it conducive to great learning.

It’s served by friendly and helpful staff who are committed to providing relevant resources and support to all the students who pass through the doors. It is so vital that as student nurses we practice these skills and improve our competencies and S.P.A.C.E is absolutely the place to make that happen for me outside of placement.

If I am not in lectures, or relaxing with friends for a quick coffee you can probably find me there 😊

Untitled design (1)

Please drop in or contact SPACE for further information

E: Healthspace@bcu.ac.uk   T: 0121 202 4524

Follow SPACE on Twitter @SPACEBCU

CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT ABOUT OUR NURSING AND MIDWIFERY COURSES