Becky's Primary Ed Blog

Becky’s Primary Ed Blog – Starting out at uni

Starting university can be scary and being a fresher was daunting. You don’t know anyone, you don’t know who to speak to or what to say! Initially I wasn’t going to move away from home but at the last minute I changed my mind. I couldn’t believe my luck when BCU were still able to help me with accommodation so I had my offer for a place on the BA (Hons) Primary Education with QTS course and a place in Oscott Gardens for my halls. Oscott Gardens was right by my campus so I knew I’d be able to roll out of bed and into classes – major bonus!

The day I moved my things in, I had so many different emotions and feelings. I felt scared, worried, nervous and had so many more things going through my head. What would it be like having to live on my own, cook for myself, do my own washing and manage my finances as well as cope with uni work and placement? It’s such an overwhelming feeling and then on top of that I didn’t know if I’d make any friends! I just tried to remember that there are hundreds of new students starting university who would be feeling exactly the same as me and my advice to you is to remember that. All I did was be confident and talk to people – other students, lecturers and tutors. The best tip I could give is to just make sure you be yourself! I wasn’t confident that I’d make friends or do very well at university but I can honestly say it’s been the best time of my life so far. I’ve made sure I stayed true to myself. I wanted people to like me for me and thankfully all my friends do!

Once I’d moved into my flat and settled in, I started to go to the Fresher’s events during Welcome Week which made me feel a part of something and helped me to make so many friends and get to know staff as well! Although they are completely normal, sometimes you have to put those nerves and worries aside and just join in with the nights out or the day activities. Talk to people and get to know them, and most of all, enjoy the time you have at university! Seize opportunities as you only get your first year once and it really does fly by!

In short, your first year’s a bit like this:

You leave home…

Going on an adventure

You arrive and it all gets a bit real!

nervous

You meet some like-minded people and celebrate in classic student fashion…

cheers

You attempt to look after yourself and each other to get through the year fit, healthy and passing your modules…

looking after yourselfworking out togetherstudying together

And by the end of the year you have the perfect team!

saved by the bell