Fashion Branding and Communication, Staff Profile

Profile: Jo Hurley, Lecturer, BA (Hons) Fashion Branding and Communication

Jo Hurley_colourWhere and what did you study?
I had the pleasure of studying BA (Hons) Fashion Design with Retail Management here at Birmingham City University when it was previously University of Central England.
What are your career highlights?
Teaching in Hong Kong was a fantastic highlight as I loved working with students from international backgrounds in such a dynamic city. I also loved working as an external examiner at the Amsterdam Fashion Institute and seeing the final projects and presentations that students put together on international fashion concepts.
What are your specialist areas of expertise?
After I graduated, I enjoyed working for the trend consultancy- The Future Laboratory. It was here that I learnt about the processes of trend research and how to investigate consumer tribes and behaviour. We came up with branding concepts for Marks and Spencer, Thomas Pink and the beauty brand Olay to name a few. Another specialism is identifying and styling vintage clothing which I learnt whilst archiving Wayne Hemingway and the Land of lost content’s vast collection of design items. I also had my own vintage boutique on ASOS and enjoyed showcasing my collection across London markets and vintage events.
What are your research interests; past and present?
At MA level I studied how creative students respond to presenting their research in traditional art sketchbook formats in comparison to blogs and digital formats. From my trend research days I am still fascinated by how consumer tribes live, shop and interact especially younger generations who are digital natives.
What’s your favourite part about working for BCU?
I have been teaching for over ten years but feel like a bird back home after being welcomed into such a wonderful and creative team on BA (Hons) Fashion Branding and Communication. I also love seeing how our fantastic students develop their projects and skills.
What do you believe it takes to work in the fashion and textiles industry?
The BA (Hons) Fashion Branding and Communication course allows students to specialise in fashion styling, art direction and branding. To work in these sectors of the fashion industry you need to be intuitive to new inspiration, be a team player and highly organised. These are the skills that we work with you on establishing throughout all levels. Although it sounds like a cliché being super passionate about what you do and enjoy in the fashion industry is also important.

Find out more about BA (Hons) Fashion Branding and Communication.
Read more posts about our School of Fashion and Textiles staff here.