Fashion Business and Promotion

Buying and Merchandising: a spotlight on the BA (Hons) Fashion Business and Promotion module

by Sophie Johnson
BA (Hons) Fashion Business and Promotion Lecturer
As part of their Buying and Merchandising module, BA (Hons) Fashion Business and Promotion students are able to work on a live industry project. This year, students have the exciting opportunity to collaborate with Asda’s clothing brand George!

BCU-Fashion-Textiles-59

The module introduces students to buying and merchandising principles and the roles and responsibilities in relation to the fashion industry. Students will understand how buyers and merchandisers work together within different retail formats and learn how to identify a variety of consumer types, as well as consumer demands and market trends. They will also learn how to discover and predict the latest trends, where to source fabrics and trims, lead times and how to factor in financial considerations.
Over the years previous students have been able to work with the retailers River Island, Allsaints and Whistles. Lecturers on the course work closely with buyers to plan the module and provide as much student contact as possible. BA (Hons) Fashion Business and Promotion Lecturer Laura Arrowsmith currently teaches on the module and has the interesting experience of studying the module as a former student.
“I found the Buying and Merchandising module extremely interesting, I hadn’t realised how much work goes into bringing garments to the shop floor and the detail that goes into each piece. I enjoyed the module so much that I graduated and went straight into a buying role knowing industry terminology and processes to help me kick start my career.” – Laura Arrowsmith
This year’s live project will involve students collaborating with George to develop their own visual capsule collection for the clothing retailer.
The module is a fantastic way to learn about how buying and merchandising fits into the fashion industry, but don’t just take my word for it, take a look at what another one of our former students had to say about the module!
“It was the most rewarding module and the most relevant in terms of relatability to the fashion industry. It was incredibly realistic as the project allowed me to create a development book for the retailer Allsaints which consisted of my designs and lead times. It has provided me with the confidence to go into industry fully understanding the processes and teams I would need to liaise with.” – Ella Dean
We’ll be following our students journeys to see how they get on with the module, so be sure to check back to see how they get on with their collections!
Follow us on Instagram and Twitter @bcu_fbp to find out more about Fashion Business and Promotion.