News, Textile Design

Poster Proud: Textile Design Course Director Gets London Underground Spotlight

Within the School of Fashion and Textiles we are very proud of the ongoing achievements of our academic staff as they continue in their practice, alongside their lecturing commitments. This week we are very proud to announce the work of Textile Design Course Director Kate Farley featured on the London Underground.

4posters

Her design work will now be catching the commuters’ eyes for the next few weeks on the underground, after a long but rewarding design process. Kate was given a brief of ‘Parks and Gardens’ and began the research process. By considering 4 different approaches to London parks, she created a nostalgic yet contemporary aesthetic in her print.
“The posters represent lots of different aspects of parks, not four specific ones, and only one suggests a particular skyline looking across at the city.”

TfL_posterbook

Kate’s work will be archived into the Underground Poster Archive at the London Transport Museum alongside some of her design heroes. Kate’s ongoing work is inspired by Edward McKnight Kauffer and Abram Games.
“Once I was told the posters were going up I had to go and find one. Luckily I was in London for the Design Festival so with wide-open eyes I took to the system and eventually found my first one at Embankment. I’m not sure I can put into words what that felt like – I wanted to point and shout they were mine!”

Kate

Find out more about our BA (Hons) Textile Design Course.
Read more Textiles Design Posts here.