Fashion Business and Promotion, Staff Profile

Profile: Amy Johns, Lecturer, BA (Hons) Fashion Business and Promotion

BCU-Fashion-textiles-jan17-194

What did you study at University?
I did my degree in BA (Hons) Fashion Retail Buying. I graduated just as the recession hit the UK when the job market was struggling,  so I moved to New York for 7 months to pursue an Internship to differentiate my experience from my peers.
I then enrolled on an MA in Fashion & Textiles (part-time)  a year later. As my study was part-time, I was able to spend 6 months working for a Trend Forecasting company in Paris. I then achieved a Distinction in my MA (showing off now!).
What are your career highlights?
Being interviewed/ considered for my dream brands- I’ve had interviews at Coach, Celine, Loewe… but  I kept changing my mind on what job role I wanted to do.
My first job was at Burberry as a Product Development Admin Assistant. I later changed careers- now working as a Freelance Technical Designer, most recently at Anya Hindmarch.
What are your specialist areas of expertise?
Technical Design, Trend Forecasting and Buying.
What are your research interests; past and present?
Trend Forecasting is my main research interest, as this is what I studied throughout my MA.
However I have a broad range of interests  so I like to keep myself busy with different projects and generally enjoy learning new things, for example, I completed an Accessories pattern cutting course in London earlier this year.
Whats your favourite  thing about working for BCU?
Seeing students develop and achieve things that they never thought were possible! 🙂
Top tips for students in the School of Fashion and Textiles?
When applying for placements or jobs, never give up! You can never contact anyone too many times… unless they block you on LinkedIn.
What do you believe it takes to work in the fashion and textiles industry?
A thick skin, perseverance and the ability to work well in a team.
Any interesting industry anecdotes? 
I probably can’t repeat things that I know… The film ‘The devil wears Prada’ is more realistic than you would think!

Find out more about BA (Hons) Fashion Business and Promotion.
Read more posts about our Fashion Staff here.