The School’s Final Year Graduate Show and New Designers, London – Through the Eyes of a First Year Student!

by Chloe Watling

First year BA (Hons) Textile Design

With finishing my first year I wanted to see the Fashion and Textiles graduate show here at BCU and also visit the national New Designers exhibition in London to keep me busy with creative ideas and motivation to produce work over the summer.

The work on display from graduating Fashion and Textile students at BCU was truly an eye-opening experience to see the standard of work and journey they have experienced through their degree.

bcu-inspired-parkside-104 RESIZED

(Image: School of Fashion and Textiles  Graduate Show, 2017)

The Opening Evening of the graduate show (in our Parkside building) was full of people in awe of the work and enjoying the experience of the evening (the free bubbles was a plus too)! There was a guest designer, Michael Angove, who was such a captivating speaker. His humour and wise advice to any other designer made his speech truly alluring. He used the term “Moxy” which he described as being brave, willing to take risks and being confident with your work. His attitude to life and his work was inspiring and really motivating!

bcu-inspired-parkside-28 resized

(Image: Graduate Show Awards Evening: 2017)

Amarah 2Ella 2

From speaking to some of the students at their graduate show it was interesting to then see their work progress to being selected to exhibit on the BCU stand at the New Designers exhibition in London the next month. Being able to speak them gave me an understanding of the standard of work needed to succeed, and valuable advice they gave me to help conquer second year!

BCU stand 2 resized

ND General Room 1Visiting New Designers was a key visualisation to help gain ideas and how to successfully showcase your work in a unique way. I think it’s key for anyone studying design or interested in the industry of textiles and fashion to visit the annual New Designers show, as it’s a great way to gain contacts with others designers showcasing. The Opening Evening at New Designers was an awards evening, where BCU stole the show (read more about the awards here). It was great way to see why certain designers won certain awards, and to see what trend was apparent with designers. The evening had free drinks too – which is always a perk as a student!

From New Designers and the Graduate Show it was exciting to speak to other designers about their work and the processes they used, which could be adapted into my own work. Learning about what work experience and internships they have done, and where was a great insight to what companies I could pursue for experience.

BCU stand 3 resized

(Image: New Designers 2017: London)

New Designers is hosted in a great part of London near antique and vintage stores which is always good to get the creative juices flowing. There are great bars and restaurants in the area too, to help cope with all the creative excitement! I would definitely recommend any students or budding designers to visit the New Designers exhibition –it really is a mind-altering experience.

Visiting New Designers and the Graduate Show were just two of the many inspirational activities I hope to do over the summer to keep me a busy bee exploring and discovering fashion and textiles.

Find out more about BA (Hons) Textile Design

View our facilities