We have been looking at a collection of Birmingham Musical Festival programmes in our Conservatoire Archive.
The first Birmingham Musical Festival took place in 1768 and was performed at St. Phillip’s Church (now Birmingham Cathedral) to raise funds for the construction of a new General Hospital. From 1784, it became the Birmingham Triennial Musical Festival, running performances every three years. The aim of the festivals continued to be to raise funds for the Birmingham General Hospital. Early Festivals were performed in St. Phillip’s Church or the Theatre Royal in New Street but due to popularity, soon outgrew these venues.