A day in the life of… A student mentor

A day in the life of

Hi, my name is Tahreem Tahir and I am a Library Support Assistant for the library and Student Mentor for the Learning and Teaching Team. I am also a third year Psychology student. I am based in the Curzon Library.

My key role in the library is to provide undergraduate and postgraduate students with one to one support regarding the library resources we provide. I have provided a programme of library sessions so students are able to access library materials efficiently. The support includes helping students explore strategies such as key words and search tips which can help them research the information in the library and externally. Through my role as a Library Support Assistant, I have helped out in the library by shelving/ sorting out books. This role has allowed help students find books and information about subjects they are unsure about.

Over the last few months, we have held drop-in sessions for students who are struggling with library resources. These drop-in sessions have allowed students to ask any question from us mentors about the library and in return we have showered them with coffee, cakes and chocolates!

Over the last 8 months, I have really enjoyed my role as a student mentor. Both roles have helped me interact with many students over different courses and different years. The roles combined has given me a chance to spread my knowledge about the library. These roles have also helped me guide first year students about information they are unsure about and has also allowed me to be there for third year students that may be struggling with stress due to their last year.

^Posted on behalf of Tahreem Tahir