A day in the life of… a Learning and Teaching Librarian

A day in the life of

janice

Hello, I’m Janice and I have worked here at BCU for a little over 10 years.  I started as a Subject Librarian, based at the beautiful School of Art, supporting courses such as Fine Art and the Art-Based Masters Programme.  I now support courses across the Faculty of AD&M, as part of Library & Learning Resources’ Learning and Teaching Team.

My key role is to provide library induction and follow-up sessions to both undergraduate and postgraduate students.  Sessions can range from standing in front of 200 new first years and delivering a presentation about how the library can support them throughout their course, through to smaller computer workshops which enable participants to try out our resources for themselves.   The Learning and Teaching Team provide a programme of library sessions which academic tutors can incorporate into their course, so that we come along at the most appropriate time to support students’ research.  Such sessions see us helping students to develop a search strategy by considering keywords and highlighting search tips which can help them to get the best out of both library and external sources of information.  Our focus is to enable students to become independent researchers, who develop the knowledge and transferable skills to achieve the best results they can whilst at University, and beyond.

The Learning and Teaching team also support students with individual tutorials which can focus specifically upon the individual’s research, and help to develop a search strategy.  I particularly enjoy this aspect of my role as it gives me the opportunity to share my knowledge and experience of using resources which can help the student to fully research their topic area – something which is essential at dissertation stage.  Not only do I find such tutorials personally satisfying, they are also very interesting and I find that I usually learn something from them too – whether they focus upon smart textiles or the concept of British values within contemporary photography.  Tutorial support is available to students at all levels of research, from foundation through to PhD, and can be booked via our Book a Tutorial page on ‘moodle’.

I also help to staff the Help Desk at both Curzon and Kenrick Libraries, so you may see me there from time to time.  Again, this is an aspect of my role which I really enjoy as you can find yourself being asked almost anything – takes me back to my days of working within a public library where you could really be asked anything…

Along with a small team of librarians, I help to look after our Twitter account which I feel is a really important area for Library & Learning Resources to engage with, to ensure that we reach as many students as possible through as many means of communication that we can.  Twitter and other social media is a useful place for us to share what we are up to with the rest of the library world, as well as borrowing other peoples’ ideas too.

sweets

Being based within Millennium Point, it is vital that I get out and about whenever I can to ensure that students and staff within AD&M remember who I am and what I can do for them.  I visit both the School of Art and School of Jewellery on a regular basis, so if you see me there just come along if you have a question or if you simply want to let me know what you think about the library service.  I usually spend a couple of hours every month during term-time at each site and often come bearing sweets and chocolates.  Forthcoming visits and events are advertised on Twitter and our online Subject Guides, so check there to see when I will next be visiting.

As well as advertising events and highlighting news within Library & Learning Resources, our Subject Guides are a really good starting point for your research.  Simply choose the guide which best fits your topic and have a look around it for suggestions of key resources for that area, in addition to contact details for the librarians who can support you further.

^Posted on behalf of Janice Wright