Drama, English, Language, Literature

A Night at the Theatre – Royal Shakespeare Company’s Twelfth Night

Siobhan Coleman

Recent Graduate, School of English, 2017

twelfth night

Last night I got the fantastic opportunity to attend the Royal Shakespeare Company’s production of the Twelfth Night. The theatre is located in the beautiful town of Stratford-upon-Avon. Home to the famous Anne Hathaway’s 500 year old cottage, and the gorgeous riverside, I really wish I had more time to explore the heritage of this town and all the stunning architecture. However, with the limited time we had, we explored in the best way possible, by visiting the local Wetherspoons!  We then proceeded to marvel at all the Shakespearian themed goodies in the theatre’s shop. This was a treat for any English student, a whole shop dedicated to the legendary writer!

The performance itself was an absolute masterpiece. It was captivating from the start and the comedy was executed excellently. The entire audience was rolling around with laughter! Not only did all actors perform wonderfully but the incorporation of the music and the signing added an extra level of entertainment and excitement.

For me, what I found to be one of the most impressive aspects of the show was all the intricacies of the set designs. I couldn’t help myself but to study all the tiny details of each set, firstly everything was so aesthetically pleasing. Yet it was also so amazing how some of the smaller parts seemed almost in significant, yet in the big picture, they were all an important part of the performance in some way.

Overall it was an absolutely brilliant night, filled with laughter and longing for more!

click here to find out more about The School of English