Meet the Team – Adam Whittaker

Name: Dr Adam Whittaker

adam WRole at BCU: Research Assistant in Music Education

Research Interests:

• Music Pedagogy (both current and historical)
  • Historical models of intellectual thought
  • Musical applications of rhetoric
  • Music in media as educational tool
  • Assessment in Music Education

Research you are currently working on:

• Historical uses of musical examples, particularly in fifteenth-century manuscripts
  • Practical music examinations
  • Reception history of Early Music as an educational tool
  • Music assessment in schools

Research methodologies you are using: As I come from a background in musicology, my research methodologies centre on the examination of objects as texts, reading not only the contents of the page but also what the page itself can tell you. There are so many things that we have missed over the years by being preoccupied with what texts tell us and not considered how they tell us nearly enough. The development of this type of approach in my PhD has extended to my other areas of research activity, seeking to recontextualise information in a way that casts new light on its primary contents.

Current issues, thoughts and reflections on education & research: The ways in which we perceive research in education is changing. My work considers ways in which older historical models might have applicability in this context of change, and how these can develop skills and knowledge in untapped ways. I’m looking forward to thinking about this a lot more and developing innovative ways of delivering historical content for the skills agenda.

Most influential research you have read/seen: The work of Ron Woodley, Margaret Bent, Bonnie Blackburn and Rob Wegman, to name a few, was highly influential on my work in musicology. Joseph Dyer’s work on the place of music within historical university models sparked my interest in historical models of intellectual thought. These led me to models of pedagogy and, ultimately, to CSPACE!

Advice for new researchers: Time spent away from the desk can help bring things into focus. Take in some air and listen to the birdsong! There’s no substitute for hard work but being glued to the desk is not always the best thing!

Mini fact about you: When I’m not reading about/playing/listening to music, I like to watch motorsport!