RE:Present Symposium: Cultural Leadership & Diversity

96d82392353416abda2e135d3e625e27-jpg-500x300Since March 2016 I have been involved in the evaluation of the RE:Present programme, a new initiative aimed at emergent and established cultural leaders/ producers and artist/leaders from diverse backgrounds who are currently underrepresented in Birmingham. 

RE:Present arose out of a series of informal discussions instigated by Assistant Director, Culture and Visitor Economy at Birmingham City Council Val Birchall with Helga Henry and Lara Ratnaraja. The programme was funded by Birmingham City Council and Arts Council England with support from Aston University, University of Birmingham and Birmingham City University.

My role as researcher was to observe and interview a sample of the 35 participants who took part in the programme. My final report, to be launched Tuesday 20th September at the RE:Present symposium, seeks to highlight initial impact and recommendations to inform future iterations. In the long term, I see this as an opportunity to influence local cultural policy makers and stakeholders, as well as individual cultural leaders.

Key findings from the evaluation suggest that the programme has supported important changes in the participants’ professional development, as diverse cultural leaders.  I will present my report at the RE:Present Symposium, taking place at Birmingham Hippodrome, Tuesday 20th September. For more information and book your place here.

Tuesday 20th September – 1.00pm to 5.30pm
PWC suite, Birmingham Hippodrome, Thorp Street, Birmingham B5 4TB

Annette

Senior Lecturer at Birmingham City University