Andy Hartwell entrepreneur and managing director of Substrakt talked to our BA students about his business and how he got started. He gave us lots of useful insights but I think the following 5 points are important for any budding entrepreneur.
- Get a mentor: Andy had had a range of mentors along the way and he has found their advice invaluable. This view was echoed by a previous guest speaker Marina from BizzBuzz.
- Balance between small jobs and long term projects: Keep the small jobs going because the longer term projects may take a while to come through.
- Access to resources: At the early stages of business, it is worth going back to your university to access some resources. It might be undergraduates or equipment.
- Team effort: Andy sees his work as a team effort and works hard to ensure that the team has opportunities to innovate and contribute.
- Friends: Use your friends to get opportunities in the early stages of a start-up and then return the favour. This will help you build your network.
To find out more about Andy and his company, here is a video we did last year.
Latest posts by Annette (see all)
- Researching and Performing Jazz - June 12, 2019
- The Male Gaze Re-Invented: Amateur Visuals at Underground Gigs - June 12, 2019
- Podcast Series: The Rise of the Cultural Entrepreneur - February 11, 2019