New Directions: Legally speaking….

Courses which enable conversion from one subject to another can be hidden gems if you’re wondering about the possibility of completely transforming your area of knowledge after you’ve graduated from a first degree.

There are a range of courses that provide a means of doing this, from Graduate Diploma conversion courses in areas such as psychology, law  and even landscape architecture, to postgraduate qualifications to train to become a teacher, gain new knowledge in management or computing, or to train to enter professions in town planning, construction, surveying or real estate. Some of these courses include professional qualifications or provide routes to membership of professional bodies.

Through our New Directions series you can discover more about opportunities for graduates to retrain in subjects including teaching, law, construction and surveying, real estate, planning, management, computing and landscape architecture at Birmingham City University.

In our second article of the series, we explore our law conversion course for graduates…

Graduate Diploma in Law

This Graduate Diploma in Law course provides a conversion route for graduates of any discipline who do not have an LLB awarded by a University of England and Wales. The course enables students to complete the Common Professional Examination which is the academic stage of training to become either a solicitor or a barrister. Following on from the Graduate Diploma in Law, students may opt to progress onto either the Legal Practice Course (for those wishing to become a solicitor) or the Bar Professional Training Course (for those intending to become a barrister) to complete the vocational stage of training for their chosen professional route. Find out more about careers as a solicitor and a barrister.

Our course has options for both full-time and part-time study. The full-time course can be completed in one year, whilst the part-time course takes two years to complete. The course commences each September. Applications for the full-time course are made through the Central Applications Board and you can apply via their website at Applications for the part-time course are made directly to the University and you can apply online here.

If you’d like to discuss the course in more detail with the Admissions Tutor you can contact Jill Molloy via email.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *