Parents’ Guide | Part 4: preparing your son or daughter to move away from home

If you’re wondering where to begin with equipping your son or daughter with the basics, part four of our Parents’ Guide series provides some ideas about what students moving away from home may need.


  • Home insurance
  • ID – Drivers Licence or passport
  • TV Licence if your son or daughter is taking their TV
  • Qualification certificates used for admission
  • Passport photos
  • Copy of correspondence received from the university – especially joining details!


  • Young Person’s Rail Card (if required)


  • Clothes airer
  • Laundry bag
  • Washing powder


  • Tea, coffee and biscuits
  • Plates and cutlery
  • Pots and Pans
  • Mugs and glasses


  • Towels
  • Toiletries


  • Duvet
  • Pillow


  • Coat hangers
  • Clothes

Electrical goods & accessories

  • PC or laptop
  • Extension lead with extra plug sockets
  • Kettle – however, check with Accommodation Services to see if this is already provided
  • Memory stick/ blank CD-Rs
  • Camera


  • Air fresheners
  • First Aid kit
  • Hot water bottle
  • Photos of friends and family
  • Posters
  • Glasses/ contact lenses (if required)
  • Cashcard/s

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *