Inside the Clearing Hotline Room – results day!

Our guest blogger, Richard Hughes, is in the midst of things today and will be posting regular updates throughout the day. Here he is with part two of his report from the clearing hotline room.

It’s half nine in the clearing room and things are well under way.

It’s the second time I’ve manned the clearing hotline. Even with a twelve month gap it only takes a couple of calls to get back in the swing.

There are only about ten of us in the room at the moment as things don’t really hot up until after nine. Things are far from quiet this morning though – not least because my phone rings so loud it’s making the desk shake. Personally, this isn’t a bad thing as the shock is helping to overcome the lack of sleep brought on by today’s early start!

There’s a full range of calls coming in so far. Not just people who’ve got A level results today, but people who’ve been told, mistakenly, to contact us for results, people who haven’t already applied to UCAS and I’ve just had a call from someone who wants to do one of our professional marketing qualifications!

Back to it!

—-
Holy Moly!

It’s now half two and the Clearing helpline has been absolutely relentless! Last year calls peaked at between 9 and 11am, but all day today has been busier than at any point last year. What HAS dropped off is the level of service we were getting this morning from the people who were fetching the brews! Tammy – we need you back!

—-
It’s nearly four o’clock and things have started to calm down. It’s been a pretty intense day, with everyone constantly on the phone, and I mean constantly. Off home for me but some of my colleagues will be here until 8 o’clock tonight and we’ll all be back to it tomorrow!