My first Gantt

margaret street

Its all go on the Arts & Project Management MA, semesters two’s core module is to develop an Events Plan. So far, we’ve had three lectures each focusing on a different area of events planning including; project scoping, event elements, critical success factors and team building/dynamics. We also have an extensive reading list covering the broader concepts and history of project and event management, as well as arts focused project management toolkits.
The assignment brief requires that we either take an existing project/event plan that pull apart and rework or the creation of a new event. I’ve opted to develop a proposal/plan for a festival that combines elements of art, history and politics consisting of live art performance exploring pivotal moments in the evolution of democracy in Britain, with a Birmingham focus. Combined with speakers and skills-based workshops.
So far, using the tools provided in lecturers and on Moodle, I’ve developed a Project Planning Model which has informed the following plan elements; scoping the project, developed the theme, objectives, project elements, identified potential funding and thought through critical success factors and secondary event elements. I’ve also sketched out potential human resources required for the planning and delivery for the festival and am making budgetary notes.
That brings me to the Gannt Chart, after completing a short exercise, translating the critical success factors and key tasks onto post it notes, and sequencing them on a wall, I began to manually develop a task list in an excel spreadsheet, and link together these tasks to show the dependencies between them. I’d seen them before, but always had an irrational fear of them, seeing a mass of indecipherable information on a sheet. However, with a little knowledge and the opportunity to create one, their value, simplicity and use are now apparent.

I then signed up to which provides various customisable templates for project planning and have had fun playing with the programme for most of today, see below.
The image shows a first draft of a Gantt Chart, outlining 15 months of set up and delivery of a small festival.

So, I’m now looking forward to further developing the plan, and more fully engaging with the various tools, texts and toolkits we have been given to aid our learning. Future tasks include stakeholder analysis, creating a full budget, identifying and mitigating risk, Project monitoring and control, developing a marketing section and more thinking about a planning and delivery team and what that might look like. Oh, and lots of reading. Thanks for taking time to read this blog, and who knows, might even see you at the festival……

David Viney is a student on the Arts & Project Management MA.
Basic Project with Gantt & Dependencies (3)